Compiled by Dr Igor Cernavin, Prosthodontist, Honorary Senior Fellow University of Melbourne School of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences, Director and Cofounder of the Asia Pacific Institute of Dental Education and Research (AIDER), Australian representative of World Federation of Laser Dentistry (WFLD).
Tolidis K. & Strakas D.1 published a review article listing the benefits and advantages of lasers in restorative dentistry.
Madan I.2 published an interesting article on the use of lasers in Paediatric dentistry.
Oliveira et al3 evaluated the microtensile bond strength of a composite resin to abraded or non-abraded bleached enamel after Er,Cr:YSGG laser irradiation. They concluded that abrasion provided no benefit to bond strength of composite resins to bleached enamel, and that Er,Cr:YSGG (20Hz, 0.5W, 3.97J/cm2) treatment reduced the bond strength of composite resins to enamel.
Ginani and coworkers4 evaluated the effect of low-level laser irradiation on the proliferation and viability of stem cells from human exfoliated deciduous teeth and concluded that the parameters used (660nm, 30mW, 1.0J/cm2) promote the proliferation of stem cells and the maintenance of cell viability.
Guarini et al5 evaluated the effect of the application of photobiomodulation in a 2-year follow-up period in patients who have been intervened with a sagittal ramus split osteotomy and presented with neurosensory disturbance of the inferior alveolar nerve. They concluded that photobiomodulation was effective for neurosensory recovery in sample studied.
Ng and coworkers6 found that teeth treated with LLLT had less total root resorption than placebo-laser. Furthermore, there was minimal difference between pulsed or continuous delivery of LLLT.
Rams et al7 assessed the ability of a red diode laser device (Diagnodent) to detect dental calculus in vitro on human tooth root surfaces. Their conclusion was that it was very effective.
Bittencourt and coworkers8 carried out a systematic review of randomized clinical trials in the use of Low-level laser therapy for treatment of neurosensory disorders after orthognathic surgery. Their conclusion was that individual studies suggested a positive effect of low-level laser therapy on reduction of postoperative pain and acceleration of improvement of paresthesia related to orthognathic surgery. However, due to the insufficient number and heterogeneity of studies, a meta-analysis evaluating the outcomes of interest was not performed, and a pragmatic recommendation about the use of laser therapy is not possible.
Rodrigues et al9 evaluated the performance of a pen-type laser fluorescence (LF) device (LFpen: DIAGNOdent pen) to detect and monitor the progression of caries-like lesions on smooth surfaces. They concluded that LF was effective in detecting the first demineralisation on enamel; however, the method did not show any effect in monitoring lesion progression after three cycles of in vitro demineralisation.
Torkzaban and coworkers10 evaluated the efficacy of LLLT for improvement of dental implant stability using a 940nm diode laser. Their statistical test revealed no significant difference in the mean values of implant stability between the test and control groups over time.
Seifi et al11 evaluated the effect of low-level laser (LLL) therapy and transcutaneous electric nerve stimulation (TENS) on Temporomandibular joint disorders. They found that using TENS or LLL therapy can improve TMD symptoms at least for the short term.
de Oliveira and coworkers12 evaluated the effect of Er,Cr:YSGG laser irradiation pulse frequency and power on enamel surface and acid erosion resistance and concluded that a pulse frequency of 30Hz and power of 0.50W was considered the best parameter to prevent enamel acid erosion.
de Santana et al13 examined the effect of laser phototherapy (lambda780nm) on vascularization, inflammation, density of the primary odontoblast layer, and formation of reactionary and reparative dentin in the dental pulp of rats and concluded that the GaAlAs laser induced small changes on dentin-pulp complex, with a more regular dentin matrix in the irradiated dental pulps of rats.
Mendez and coworkers14 evaluated the influence of antimicrobial photodynamic therapy (aPDT) on the viability of microorganisms, vitality of biofilms, and lactic acid production of dentin caries microcosms using 100mgL-1 methylene blue (MB) with 0, 37.5, or 75Jcm-2 LED at 630nm. They found that the MB-mediated aPDT was effective in controlling the viability, vitality and the acidogenicity of dentin caries microcosms.
1. Tolidis K and Srakas D. Laser- supported restorative dentistry. Laser international magazine of laser dentistry. Vol. 9. Issue 3.2017. pp06-11.
2. Madan I. Laser as euphemism in Paediatric Dentistry. Laser international magazine of laser dentistry. Vol. 9. Issue 3.2017. pp28-30.
3. Oliveira, Pedro H C; Cassoni, Alessandra; Brugnera, Aldo Junior; Tenorio, Ilana P; Rodrigues, Jose A. Bond Strength of Abraded and Non-Abraded Bleached Enamel to Resin After Er,Cr:YSGG Laser Irradiation. Photomedicine and laser surgery, 35 (10):530-536; 10.1089/pho.2016.4229 2017-Oct.
4. Ginani, Fernanda; Soares, Diego Moura; de Oliveira Rocha, Hugo Alexandre; de Souza, Lelia Batista; Barboza, Carlos Augusto Galvao.
Low-level laser irradiation induces in vitro proliferation of stem cells from human exfoliated deciduous teeth. Lasers in medical science, 10.1007/s10103-017-2355-y 2017-Oct-12.
5. Guarini, Daniela; Gracia, Benjamin; Ramirez-Lobos, Valeria; Noguera-Pantoja, Alfredo; Sole-Ventura, Pedro. Laser Biophotomodulation in Patients with Neurosensory Disturbance of the Inferior Alveolar Nerve After Sagittal Split Ramus Osteotomy: A 2-Year Follow-Up Study. Photomedicine and laser surgery, 10.1089/pho.2017.4312 2017-Oct-12.
6. Ng, Doreen; Chan, Ambrose K; Papadopoulou, Alexandra K; Dalci, Oyku; Petocz, Peter; Darendeliler, Mehmet Ali. The effect of low-level laser therapy on orthodontically induced root resorption: a pilot double blind randomized controlled trial. European journal of orthodontics, 10.1093/ejo/cjx065 2017-Sep-07.
7. Rams, Thomas E; Alwaqyan, Abdulaziz Y. In vitro performance of DIAGNOdent laser fluorescence device for dental calculus detection on human tooth root surfaces. The Saudi dental journal, 29 (4):171-178; 10.1016/j.sdentj.2017.08.001 2017-Oct.
8. Bittencourt, M-A-V; Paranhos, L-R; Martins-Filho, P-R-S. Low-level laser therapy for treatment of neurosensory disorders after orthognathic surgery: A systematic review of randomized clinical trials. Medicina oral, patologia oral y cirugia bucal, 22 (6):780-787; 10.4317/medoral.21968 2017 Nov 01.
9. Rodrigues, J A; Sarti, C S; Assuncao, C M; Arthur, R A; Lussi, A; Diniz, M B. Evaluation of laser fluorescence in monitoring non-cavitated caries lesion progression on smooth surfaces in vitro.
Lasers in medical science, 32 (8):1793-1800; 10.1007/s10103-017-2262-2 2017-Nov.
10. Torkzaban, Parviz; Kasraei, Shahin; Torabi, Sara; Farhadian, Maryam. Low-level laser therapy with 940nm diode laser on stability of dental implants: a randomized controlled clinical trial. Lasers in medical science, 10.1007/s10103-017-2365-9 2017-Oct-29.
11. Seifi, Massoud; Ebadifar, Asghar; Kabiri, Sattar; Badiee, Mohammad Reza; Abdolazimi, Zahra; Amdjadi, Parisa. Comparative effectiveness of Low Level Laser therapy and Transcutaneous Electric Nerve Stimulation on Temporomandibular Joint Disorders. Journal of lasers in medical sciences, 8 (Suppl 1):S27-S31; 10.15171/jlms.2017.s6 2017.
12. de Oliveira, Renan Mota; de Souza, Vinicius Matsuzaki; Esteves, Camila Machado; de Oliveira Lima-Arsati, Ynara Bosco; Cassoni, Alessandra; Rodrigues, Jose Augusto; Brugnera Junior, Aldo. Er,Cr:YSGG Laser Energy. Photomedicine and laser surgery, 35 (11):639-646; 10.1089/pho.2017.4347 2017-Nov
Delivery: Pulse and Power Effects on Enamel Surface and Erosive Resistance.
13. de Santana, Dandara Andrade; Fonseca, Gabriela Ferraz; Ramalho, Luciana Maria Pedreira; Rodriguez, Tania Tavares; Aguiar, Marcio Cajazeira. Effect of low-level laser therapy (lambda780nm) on the mechanically damaged dentin-pulp complex in a model of extrusive luxation in rat incisors. Lasers in medical science, 32 (9):1995-2004; 10.1007/s10103-017-2295-6 2017-Dec.
14. Mendez, Daniela Alejandra Cusicanqui; Gutierrez, Eliezer; Dionisio, Evandro Jose; Oliveira, Thais Marchini; Buzalaf, Marilia Afonso Rabelo; Rios, Daniela; Machado, Maria Aparecida Andrade Moreira; Cruvinel, Thiago. Effect of methylene blue-mediated antimicrobial photodynamic therapy on dentin caries microcosms. Lasers in medical science, 10.1007/s10103-017-2379-3 2017-Nov-08.